Saturday, 13 September 2014

So, this Is blogging!

So this is a bit different.

I've decided that im going to start blogging about what its like to train like a maniac!

Basically, long story short, Im a distance runner from New Zealand. My goal is to become the best marathon runner that New Zealand has EVER produced. Bit of a lofty goal I know but hey, Aim high right?

So now time for a bit of background on me.
My journey through running had a bit of a false start, Twice! I first started runnign when my parents signed me up as a Tiny Tot at Roskill South Athletics Club. I continued with this, racing between 40-100m for about 2 years, then when I was 4 years old I broke my arm pretty badly, missed the start of the season and that was that. Then when I was 9, my younger brother Keegan decided to give athletics a go, Mum forced me to come along and try it out too. I was VERY reluctant, I remember having a screaming match with my mum about how I didn't want to go, needless to say, she won. By the end of that first Tuesday night Club meeting i was hooked. However I wasn't sorted yet. After about 4 years of training on and off with ACAs junior training I called it quits. This time it was because of the pressure. As much as they hate to hear it most of the issue was with my parents, they put way to much pressure on me to train and as a 13 year old I couldn't handle it. I "quit" the sport, that only lasted about 12 months, pretty soon I was back at it training with the group again and pretty soon moved up to being coached by my current coach, Barry Magee. And the rest as they say is history.

Being coached by Barry is . . . Interesting. Barry is one of Arthur Lydiards original "boys", He won a bronze medal in the Marathon at the Rome Olympics, a few days after Murray Halberg and Peter Snell won golds. Barry was one of the forgotten athletes because he 'only' won bronze but it was still a mammoth achievement and one that confirmed Lydiard as the greatest coach of the time and still one of the greatest ever. What this means for me is, quite simply, Im coached in the Lydiard way.

Lydaird training is not for the faint of heart, or body. It takes a special kind of person to complete this training and not break down, physically and mentally. Lydiard was the original guy who suggested you needed to run 100 miles a week in order to maximize your potential. many people believe that this just means Long Slow Distance. This simply isn't the case, during Lydiard training, you run fast, a lot. what people also forget is that 100 miles is just for the main training of the day, all Lydiard athletes run twice a day with an easier jog in the morning and the main training at night. What does all this result in, about 220-240km a week during conditioning, track, XC and road all start with the same conditioning program.

All of this training however wouldnt be possible without the awesome training group I have, We have dubbed ourselves "Barrys Boys". Jono and Asher make all this training so much easier. Of course I also have the awesome support of Reliv. Reliv is an awesome company who provides me with all that I need to stay healthy, fit and able to train at such a high level.

So I guess that's me, first blog post over and done with!

No comments:

Post a Comment